Handwashing effectiveness is commonly measured by log reduction. It is considered to be limited to a log 2 reduction by authors of the Model Food Code.
Log 3, log 4 and log 5 reductions may be available by using these integrated best practices.
- Wet/Pre-rinse hands in a stream of warm water flowing at a rminimum rate of 2 gpm. Continue according to the level of soil.
- Apply soap and scrub vigorously for at least 15 seconds with the aid of a recyclable nail brush.
- Rinse with friction under a stream of warm water as in point 1.
- Dry with an absorbent paper towel, utilizing an intense level of friction.
Optional step 5 when serving at-risk communities:
- Follow with alcohol hand sanitizer for an added log reduction.
- Use synergized alcohol hand sanitizer for maximum effectiveness.
Optional step 6.
- Don clean single-use gloves.